We Dream Inspire Design Craft The Best
SILVERCREST CUSTOM HOMES AND RENOVATIONS
We help you design the life you want.
We understand that building a new home, semi-custom home, custom home, laneway house, undertaking a major renovation or doing an addition to your current home can be an extremely stressful process. With this in mind, we have built Silvercrest Custom Homes and Renovations on the foundation of communication, transparency and maximizing homeowner value. Full disclosure is our policy. We respect your business
Greg Birch CPA, CGA.
The team at Silvercrest are trusted experts in building custom homes and laneway homes. Greg is known for his building sensibility and construction of affordable, high performance homes with the latest technology. Greg graduated with a degree in Bachelor of Business Administration from Simon Fraser University and holds a Chartered Professional Accountant designation. He has also completed Certified Passive House Trade – Passive House Canada. He is responsible for overseeing project management for every one of our builds and renovations. Greg’s philosophy is about staying true and authentic to style and creating a comfortable, functional and affordable living environment.
BUILDING YOUR LANEWAY HOUSE
Do you love your home but feel that you are running out of space? A laneway housing system could be the perfect solution for you. Silvercrest Custom Homes & Renovations will help you maximize the potential of your laneway homes to give them additional space.
WHAT IS A LANEWAY HOUSE OR A COACH HOME?
- Laneway homes are smaller, independent structure located at the rear of a lot where the garage would normally go on a single-family property.
- Laneway housing is usually allowed in all RS single family zones.
- In Vancouver, bc and other municipalities, laneway homes can be permitted in addition to a secondary suite in the main house.
- Laneway housing can be for family use or rental; strata-titling is not permitted.
If you are interested in finding out if your property is applicable for coach houses or laneway homes, check our our guide titled What Is A Laneway House And What Do I Need To Know To Build One or contact us for a complementary consultation today! We’d be happy to give you all the information you need to fully understand the process and financing needed to build laneway houses.
FULL TRANSPARENCY WITH SILVERCREST CUSTOMER PROJECT PORTAL
People are choosing Silvercrest Custom Homes and Renovations because we provide transparency and control for our clients.
Our clients can view their laneway house construction progress through our cloud-based Customer Project Portal on their desktop or smartphone. Furthermore, they can approve sub-trade quotes, make interior finish selections, and much more from anywhere and anytime. In addition, for those who are not tech-savvy, no worries, we still have you covered. You can opt to receive daily progress reports emailed to you directly, arrange telephone meetings, request onsite reviews, or even schedule weekly in-person meetings. Moreover, you can click on the video to find out more about our process and how it protects you.
Lets Get Started
**Your dream laneway home is just one call away.**
Silvercrest Custom Homes and Laneway Homes Design Center
Our Design Centre for homes and laneways is loaded with flooring samples, cabinet doors, counter top materials, handles/knobs, lots of sample duplex, house and laneway floor plans for your inspiration
LANEWAY HOUSE KITCHEN AND BATHROOM INSPIRATION FOR YOUR NEW LANEWAY HOUSE
All our laneway house plans have standard kitchen and bathroom designs. We also offer upgraded designs for our clients, please check out Silvercrestdesign.com for more details.
FEATURED PROJECT: 3D RENDERINGS
WHY CHOOSE LANEWAY HOUSES?
There are many reasons for wanting to add laneway housing to your property:
There are many reasons for wanting to add laneway housing to your property. Firstly, it can provide housing for a variety of users, such as aging family members, adult children, caregivers, and homeowners wishing to downsize. Additionally, laneway housing provides more choice of housing type in single-family residential neighborhoods. Furthermore, it contributes to the rental housing stock and offers an affordable solution to the growing population and housing market. Moreover, laneway houses enhance the overall sustainability of the city, providing opportunities that may have otherwise not existed. Lastly, this initiative aims to make the city’s urban lanes more green, livable, and safe.
IS YOUR LOT ELIGIBLE FOR A LANEWAY HOUSE?
Some of the key regulations for laneway houses are as follows:
- Located on a lot at least 33 feet wide
- Property must have open lane on a double fronting street or on a corner with lane dedication
- Fire access must be provided from the street along one of the side yards to the entrance of the laneway housing.
- Minimum of one on-site parking space must be provided
- A minimum of 16 feet separation is required between the main house and laneway house
WHAT ARE THE LANEWAY HOUSE PRINCIPLES?
The following principles underlie laneway housing regulations and guidelines:
- Laneway houses provide new housing choices for family members or renters in single family residential areas.
- Homeowners are able to add laneway houses while keeping their existing home, or build a laneway housing along with a new main house.
- Regulations and design guidelines ensure that laneway housing:
- maintain backyard open space.
- encourage one story laneway houses to limit impact on neighbors.
- provide for a variety of unit types.
- Laneway homes make lanes greener, more livable, and safer by providing living space, parking, and planting in the lane.
- Laneway houses comply with the Green Home Laneway housing Program, as adapted for its small size.
WHAT SIZE OF LANEWAY HOUSE CAN I BUILD?
We determine the most effective size and shape for your new laneway homes during the first step of our process:
- Maximum allowable unit size is based on lot size, to a maximum of 900 sq. ft. For example, a maximum unit size of approximately 650 square foot of laneway homes are allowed on a 33 ft. x 122 ft. lot.
- 1 and 1½ story configuration is possible, with guidelines to address upper storey massing, privacy and shadowing
If you are interested in finding out if your property is applicable for laneway homes or coach houses, contact us for a complementary consultation today! We’d be happy to give you all the information you need to fully understand the process and financing needed to build laneway homes for you.